Tuesday, January 6, 2015

An impulse purchase

With a new year beginning, and all of these resolutions whirring about, you would think I'd have a little more self-restraint. Alas, you'd be wrong.

I moved into my apartment a year and a half ago. At the time, it was just me, but I knew that my boyfriend would be joining me over the summer, so I found a place that, while small, would comfortably house the two of us. When he eventually moved in, we moved some things around, made some small changes, found a place to keep his bike, but for the most part, everything stayed the same. That changes today.

Our kitchen table up until now is a piece I inherited from my mom - it's an oval shaped drop leaf table, and the supports extend diagonally to hold up the leaves on either side. It's a great table, but more and more we've been finding that it doesn't suit our needs. It's not the most comfortable for dining, and it's definitely not designed to seat more than two people comfortably. So with that in mind, we decided to purchase a new table, and it's coming today!

Of course, the flip side to this is that the new table (and chairs, because the ones we have now are the cheapest ikea chairs I could find while I was in college) ran us about $300, and it's an expense that *gasp* I didn't budget for. I know I should have waited and saved up for a couple of months to purchase it, but I wanted it now. Not a good reason, not a good practice, and I know it's something I need to work on. When I decide I want something, I can get a bit obsessive. I was the same way with my bicycle, but you know what? $500 later, I have a great bike that I rode quite a bit in the fall and I'm excited to pick back up in the spring!

So, I could beat myself up over the table. I'll have to borrow from my savings to pay off my credit card this month, probably, and that's not a great feeling. But what's done is done, and I'm excited to have something that's ours, not mine. We're keeping the old table, folded down, and we're going to try to find a way to store the old chairs as well, so we suddenly have twice as much seating and we can host more humans in our apartment. Maybe I should feel guilty about all this, but I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment